A bright, vibrant brown rice bowl with red cabbage and mango slaw, sambal lime prawns and creamy smashed avocado.
For the Spicy Prawn Bowls
- 100g (3.5 oz) brown basmati rice
- 2 tbsp sambal oelek
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- juice of 1 lime
- splash light oil
- 200g (7 oz) raw king prawns
- 1 large avocado
- sea salt
For the Red Cabbage & Mango Slaw
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1 lime
- large pinch sea salt
- 250g (9 oz) red cabbage, shredded
- 60g (2 oz) ripe mango
- small handful fresh coriander
- Cook the rice in a pan of water for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the slaw. In a large bowl, whisk together the juice of 1 lime, setting a small wedge aside for the smashed avocado, and the salt. Slice the mango into fine matchsticks and toss together in the dressing along with the cabbage and the coriander, roughly chopped.
- Gently smash the avocado with the remaining lime juice and another pinch of sea salt. Set aside.
- To make the sauce for the prawns, whisk together the sambal oelek, soy sauce, maple syrup and the juice of the remaining lime. Pat any excess moisture off the prawns with a piece of kitchen towel.
- Heat a splash of oil in a medium frying pan over a high heat. Add the prawns and cook until just pink on each side. Remove them from the pan and set aside just before they’re completely cooked through. Add the sauce to the pan and allow to bubble down for a minute or so to create a sticky sauce. Return the prawns to the pan and stir into the sauce, cooking until they are heated through.
- Divide the rice, slaw and smashed avocado between two bowls and top with the sambal lime prawns. Serve with additional prawn wedges if desired.
If you can’t find sambal oelek – some supermarkets sell it and you can find it online or in an Asian grocery store – sriracha would make an acceptable substitute.