Weekly Love: the one where autumn arrived.
1. A frankly stunning family Sunday roast of roast beef with all the trimmings at The Duck Inn at Pett Bottom. | 2. Exploring the stunning cutting garden at the home of all the beautiful dahlia varieties, Sarah Raven’s Perch Hill. | 3. This month over on ingredient I’m focusing on wild blackberries, and sharing – among others – this stunning recipe for a Blackberry Clafoutis. | 4. Saying goodbye to our friends tenure at my favourite place to eat, The Compasses Inn in Crundale, toasting them good luck for their new restaurant that I’m very, very excited about that is opening in Tunbridge Wells in November. | 5. A little storecupboard supper recipe if you’re still trying to cling to the last of the summer eats: my Tinned Mackerel Spaghetti with Lemon Chilli Breadcrumbs. | 6. And another back pocket classic: my Orzo Risotto with Lemon & Fresh Oregano.
- Why yes, I do want to make homemade potato smilies.
- Gus takes us on a fascinating tour of pastries found exclusively inn British regional bakeries, though while I need to share my love for our Kentish Gypsy tart you’re doing it wrong if you get it from a bakery as he suggests where the pastry is always too thick and the filling too scant: a true Gypsy tart is made mass catering style in a large tray and then divided into slices.
- There is a forbidden island off the coast of Hawaii which is essentially a 1800’s time capsule.
- Joy has some fantastic tips for getting your kitchen ready for the autumn baking season.
- An essay on the curiosity that is the English food store, abroad.
- Everything you need to know about sugar and if unrefined sugars are actually better for you, as written by a nutritionist.
- Making sundried tomato paste from scratch, in Italy.
- Why Matzo Ball Ramen works.
- How to choose the right type of egg wash for whatever you’re baking.
- Once again I might try making a snack out of my pumpkins pumpkin seeds this year because of this recipe that shows me how to make them in an air fryer.
- And finally, I’ve written an essay over at ingredient asking myself if I’m a failure as a food writer because I only make homemade stock out of leftovers?
What have you been finding small pockets of joy in this week, and what have you got planned this weekend? We’ve got a packed one spending time with my family and then off to do an exciting food review and travel piece that I’ve been trying to get around to for simply months! Though I am somewhat looking at the diary and wondering when the next weekend I’ll get to sleep in is…!