This All-American inspired breakfast oatmeal topped with candied bacon, maple syrup and blueberries was one of my favourite breakfasts when I lived in Los Angeles.
- 1/2 Cup Oats, Rolled or Steel Cut etc., whichever your prefer (I use Rolled)
- 1 Piece Unsmoked Streaky Bacon (Smoked will work if you can’t find Unsmoked, USA readers)
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 1 1/2 tbsp Maple Syrup
- A Handful Blueberries
- First cook your bacon until crispy. If this is a weekday breakfast and you want to be quick about it, it should only take a minute or two in a very hot frying pan. Set aside on kitchen roll to soak up all the excess fat.
- Meanwhile, mix the water and the oats in a large, microwave proof bowl and add a tablespoon of the maple syrup. Stir well, and microwave on high for one minute.
- Cut the bacon into small pieces. Place in a small bowl and pour over the remaining syrup. Stir, and set aside.
- Stir the oatmeal and return to the microwave for another minute. It should be cooked and the water should be absorbed, but you can put it back in for another 30 seconds or so if you think it needs it.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, so the bowl is cool enough to touch and the oatmeal won’t burn your tongue if you try to eat it (!) and top with the blueberries, followed by the maple bacon mixture.