Monday, 08 July 2013
Recipe: Barbecue Chicken, Bacon & Honey Mustard Skewers
I have been wanting to barbecue for the past 10 months. Do you know how hard it was having barbecue suitable weather that we don’t always get in England this past year in Los Angeles and not being able to do anything about it? I’ll admit I’m not the best barbecuer in the world, and while I can handle marinating different meats, preparing vegetables ready for the heat and I have no trouble whipping up potato salads to go on the side, when it comes to actual cooking while I can manage, I much prefer to leave it to my Father if I am at my parents house, or a lot of Kathryn’s assistance if we are cooking on the beach.
Coming home means coming home to all the recipes commonly in our family rotation. Just like I have go to dishes I always make when I am in my own flat or apartment, like my Freeze Ahead Red Lentil Ragu or my Perfect Tomato Pasta Sauce, while we do like to try out new recipes, there are just some that we always make, for example I know every time we go to the French house Hot King Prawns in Garlic Butter and my mothers Red Peppers with Tomatoes and Anchovies will consumed at least once. One of our go to barbecue recipes, because it is both delicious and we always have the ingredients on hand ever since we adapted it from a barbecue supplement that came with the June 2009 issue of BBC Good Food Magazine: Chicken, Bacon and Honey Mustard Skewers. They are still one of my favourites; I served them up at my leaving barbecue last year. The recipe claims this serves 4, but there are three of use and we have the perfect amount, with a lot of vegetables and salads. Depending on who you are cooking for, and what else you are serving you should use your own judgement on this. Everyone is different after all.
This is our family favourite recipe for the barbecue, and is a real crowd pleaser whenever we have people over during the summer!
- 10 Slices Streaky Bacon (We use unsmoked, but that is family preference)
- 500g (1lb 2oz) Chicken Breasts
- 1 Red Pepper, in chunks
- 1 Yellow Pepper, in chunks
- 1 Large Red Onion, in chunks
- 4 tbsp Clear Honey
- 4 tbsp Wholegrain Mustard
- 4 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 8 Wooden Barbecue Skewers
- While you are preparing the chicken and the vegetables soak the skewers in cold water. This will stop them burning when you put them on the barbecue.
- Cut the chicken into barbecue skewer size chunks and rap a small strip of bacon around each one. Thread pieces of chicken and bacon, onion and pepper alternatively onto each stick.
- Prepare the sticky marinade by combining the honey, mustard and olive oil together with a fork or whisk in a small bowl. Brush a bit of the marinade onto each skewer.
- Now, depending on your barbecue set up, cook the skewers on a prepared barbecue for 15-20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through, brushing with more marinate until it has all gone every time you turn them. Or, if you are me hand the plate of skewers and the bowl of marinate to whoever is in charge of the barbecue and instruct them in the marinading.
I hope you enjoy these, and I actually have another recipe that I created last Summer for chicken barbecue skewers I can’t wait to share with you too at some stage this Summer. I’m also going to work on posting some recipes for some sides, because at the moment all I can recommend to go with this chicken is my Purple Cabbage Slaw with Cucumber and Dill.