Weekly Love: Week 154
What I love about Summer is that it not only gives me the opportunity to visit places that I’d find too cold at any other time of the year (hello Iceland last Summer, Glasgow last weekend), but it also gives me a chance to really spend some time with friends that I don’t really get the opportunity to during the year, either because we live in different parts of the country or because some of the group are still in education or further study. This week, take the time to touch base with the people closest to you, just to say hi, or if you can make plans.
1. Stunning views over Scotland from the plane window flying into Glasgow. | 2. The Charbonnel et Walker press office know the quickest way to my heart: a box of my favourite English Rose & Violet Creams (which are currently at 10% both box sizes!) | 3. Getting dressed up to get up close and personal with bees on a Glaswegian Sunday morning with the team from Plan Bee. More to follow as I’m working on a proper feature for one of the publications I write for. I’ll be sure to link you all in! | 4. Gathering flowers from the garden for the kitchen table. | 5. Sunday morning Full English Breakfasts, lashings of toast and oodles of tea (oh, and local apple juice) on the seafront at The Royal Hotel in Deal. | 6. A Mummy/ Daughter lunch break on a Canterbury clothes shopping trip at KITCH.
- City AM sits down with Hotel Chocolat’s Angus Thirlwell – one of my favourite people to talk chocolate with – about how his business has grown over the past decade.
- The L.A. Times asks if recipe testing is a dying art.
- Be sure to browse then bookmark part two of Olivia’s Brighton guide. Also, she has written a brilliant post full of great tips for nervous flyers.
- Okay, yet more from Olivia’s blog, she recently visited Canterbury, and as well as having breakfast at KITCH (one of my favourites) she stayed at the Abode and can recommend it – this is for all of you who always ask me, and because I live here I have no idea about hotels!
- Ever since I filled up on crawfish and corn at The Boiling Crab in Westwood I’ve wanted to know how to do a Shrimp Boil at home. Thankfully, Joy shows us all how.
- Go Thing Big has some great tips from editors in what they look for from freelancers.
- Refinery 29 has put together a guide to San Francisco’s 30 best cheap eats. Also, they’ve put together a guide to L.A.’s best rooftop bars. Personally, I love High Rooftop Lounge in Venice.
- David Lebovitz schools us on how to make homemade tonic water.
- Carin’s pictures from Barcelona make me want to jump on a plane to somewhere sunny where I can stay in a nice hotel all over again; yes I know I’ve only recently come back from L.A.!
- Over 30 Recipes To Reduce Kitchen Waste.
- Into The Gloss has some great ideas for what to do with unwanted, but perfectly good makeup.
- I’m all over Rose’s Lazy Pesto Chicken Salad. Also, her latest post is making me slightly regret missing out on going to the polo this year.
7. Afternoon walks through the fields to the post box. | 8. While I was in Glasgow I had a super comfy room at the citizenM – I love their hotels while I’m traveling! (You can read my review of their hotel on Southbank in London here) | 9. A simply perfect Crayfish Roll at Gordon Street Coffee in Glasgow. | 10. Indian scrambled egg breakfast rolls and cardamom tea outside Babu Bombay Street Kitchen in Glasgow. | 11. Another Glasgow restaurant pick, pre-dinner gin cocktails at The Finnieston. | 12. Cooking up a storm for my annual Summer dinner party (you can see my photos and recipes from 2013 here and 2014 here)
- Everything you should know about one of my most recent vegetable obsessions: kohlrabi.
- Now you’ve learnt all about kohlrabi, here are 4 recipes with it from Yotam Ottolenghi.
- i am a food blog has created the ultimate recipe for microwave nachos.
- One from my political rather than foodie life but one I still think you’ll enjoy, ‘Seven Things Every Government Press Officer Knows Are True’ will make any PR person giggle.
- Annie has five great ways to embrace the new city you’ve just moved to.
- A Beautiful Mess has published a beautiful (and delicious looking) guide to Nashville.
- Fish on Friday has all you ever needed to know about cooking with and foraging for seaweed.
- The Kitchn has a great hack for keeping bugs out of your Summer drinks. Also, they’ve put together this guide with everything you need to know about growing rosemary.
- 15 recipes to help you use up a carton of cream.
- What To Cook Tonight explores the Snowy Mountains Region in New South Wales.
- And over on her personal blog, Sophie hikes the stunning Lanikai Pillboxes in Hawaii.
- Emily has some great tips for making overnight house guests feel at home.
- Style Me Pretty schools us on how to make your own citronella candles at home.
- Ashlae’s story of how she ended up having a courthouse wedding basically made me cry.
- This Camille Styles piece of what your Pinterest boards say about your personality is actually bang on. I don’t usually buy into things like this, but it is me all over!
- Londoners? You need to book a sunset supper at The Culpeper.
- 8 Authentic Italian Recipes You May Not Have Heard Of.
What have you been enjoying this week, and what do you have planned for the weekend? If I were you, I’d break out the barbecue, grill some steaks and serve them with a nice, full bodied red wine sitting outside on the patio, and with the Cherry, Hazelnut & Mint Salad with Hazelnut Vinaigrette that I wrote for the Borough Market blog this week.