Weekly Love: Week 144
So, the first Weekly Love of 2015! It has taken me a while to get back into the swing of things, but I’m now rather energised for what is to come, and I’ve happily jumped head first into my freelance work for the New Year. A new publication for me contributing to is Buzzfeed, and I just wanted to thank you all for all your love you’ve sent my way for the first two pieces I’ve published over there. In case you missed them, I’m flying the flag for food in my hometown in ‘21 Things You Have To Eat In Canterbury Right Now‘ and running through some of the quirks of training in one of my favourite sports in ‘18 Secrets Rowers Will Never Tell You‘.
1. Planning the return of my Borough Market column next month browsing their beautiful veg displays. | 2. Wrapping up walk in a nice thick scarf on the farm. | 3. Discovering my new ingredient obsession, Vita Coco Coconut Oil with Hemsley + Hemsley. So far, I love cooking my scrambled eggs in a teaspoon of it for great texture and flavour, and using it as a lip balm. | 4. Getting my cold pressed juice fix at the Pressed London counter in Selfridges. My favourite is Greenhouse 2. | 5. Quick lunchtime salad with a cup of tea and the new Boden catalogue. | 6. Beautiful view of St Paul’s across the Thames while strolling down Southbank.
- Carrie’s stunning photos remind me why I’ll always love the English countryside.
- Refinery 29 has put together a round up of the best L.A. foodies to follow on Instagram. They’ve also sat down with a dermatologist to see if *that* 12 step Korean skincare regime everyone seems to be obsessed with right now is actually good for our skin.
- I want to make this drinks serving tray from A Beautiful Mess. Also, they have some great tips in this post on using natural light in still life (read: food) photography.
- If I still lived in London I’d be all over making the hike over to Putney for brunch at Brew.
- Olivia has put together a great guide to Amsterdam. Also, I want to do absolutely everything on her guide of great things to do in London this January.
- Nikki’s year in review reminds me that she is not just a wonderful friend who sends me snail mail from across the world on cute stationary, but the most talented photographer I know, too.
- London’s 30 Most Instagrammed Restaurants.
- Lea has written a great guide on how to introduce yourself to a total stranger.
- Jacintha took some beautiful pictures of Delft in the Netherlands over her Christmas break.
- The Roaming Kitchen went to San Sebastián for New Year and the foodie photos from their trip are fantastic. (You can see my photos from San Sebastián last year here.)
- Trader Joe’s have released their most loved products from 2014 on their blog. Love this list, though I feel Peanut Butter Cups beating out Powerberries as best candy is a travesty.
- The difference between stock and broth.
7. Baking a gluten-free version of Top With Cinnamon‘s Swedish Chocolate Cake. | 8. A delicious Thai vegetable curry for lunch at KITCH in Canterbury. | 9. My first Korean Barbecue since I moved back from Los Angeles at Koba in Fitzrovia. Full review to follow soon! | 10. Golden light in the church yard visiting my grandmother on a crisp January afternoon. | 11. Brainstorming Valentines Day at Borough Market with my fishmonger, Furness Fish. | 12. Currently Reading: My Paris Kitchen by David Lebovitz.
- Into The Gloss sits down to talk all things beauty with Nicole Warne of Gary Pepper Girl. They’ve also put together a pretty helpful beginners guide to ordering wine.
- America? Love and Lemons has rounded up the perfect winter food and wine pairings.
- Sophie’s photo diary of Byron Bay highlights another reason I need to visit Australia.
- Refinery 29 has predicted the biggest food trends of 2015. They’ve also put together their guide to L.A.’s best hair salons. (My personal recommendation? Trim on Abbot Kinney Boulevard.)
- For anyone who has read the book, this fascinating and analytical academic essay tells the real life story behind Lolita. (via Amy Elizabeth)
- Ashlae’s Iceland trip photos really capture the spirit of one of my favourite places I travelled to in 2014. She’s also put in some great recommendations of where to eat, visit and stay.
- Rose takes us on a bit of an art and architecture tour of Florence.
- Carin had tea at The Boathouse in Sydney, and I’m very jealous. Just look at her photos!
- Yet more travel porn, Nicole (who took the two shots of me above in November, more on that soon) took some stunning photos in Bali that really capture the culture of the place.
- 8 Facts About Awards Shows You’d Only Know If You Were Invited.
- PUNCH has published a fascinating piece on the drinking culture in Dubai.
- This great video from The Kitchn shows you how to make buttermilk from milk and lemon.
- Can Starbucks successfully brand itself as a wine bar after dark in its American branches?
- Amy has put together a great guide to cheap and free things to do in Leeds. She’s also put together a great post schooling us in different Gin & Tonic garnishes.
And finally, I want to leave you with Maroon 5’s new video for ‘Sugar’, my favourite track from their latest album. So, basically one day in December the band went around crashing and performing at unsuspecting couples weddings across L.A. Even if you’re not a big fan of their music, watch it and I promise it will leave you with a massive smile on your face. And Los Angeles? You’re looking beautiful, by the way.
What have you been enjoying this week, and what do you have planned for the weekend? I’m hoping the weather stays cold and crisp, rather than wet and windy tomorrow so I can go out on the lake rowing, and I’m back in London on Sunday for a Chinese Afternoon Tea, which I’m rather excited about!