Monday, 18 January 2016
Student Suppers: Wholemeal Spaghetti with Lemon & Avocado
As you’ve probably already noticed, I go through phases with cookbooks. The last week of December and the first could of weeks of January I cooked an insane amount of recipes recipes from Nigella Lawson’s Simply Nigella. I’m still slightly in love with the book, but as you may have noticed from Wednesday’s post, I’m now all about the bible of modern vegetarian goodness A Modern Way To Eat by Anna Jones.
There is actually one recipe I saw reproduced on a few peoples blogs, and when I flipped through the book in the bookstore which is actually the reason I wanted the book: Anna’s recipe for Avocado & Lemon Zest Spaghetti, made with wholemeal spaghetti. I’ve never used wholemeal spaghetti before. They have it in the supermarket with the regular spaghetti, but I’ve never really been one to have lots of different types of something when usually one type will just do. I was tempted to make this with regular spaghetti, but changed my mind last minute. There was just something about something that would supposedly have a nuttier flavour with bright lemon and creamy avocado stirred in that appealed to me, so I grabbed a pack. If you’ve never been sure, I urge you to try it. It does have a better flavour, but it is actually not so much different to regular spaghetti. But better. I now want to try it with everything.
I’ve adapted the serves 4 recipe down to a serves one, changing the quantities a little so it suits making it for just you for a speedy lunch or dinner. However, if you’re whipping up for two, double everything, double everything including the avocado. I can’t imagine this bowlful without as many creamy nuggets.
This delicious pasta dish combines creamy avocado, bright basil and punchy capers for an alternative veggie supper.
- 100g (3 1/2 oz) Wholemeal Spaghetti
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1 tbsp Nonpareille Capers
- Zest of 1/2 Lemon
- Small Handful Flat Leaf Parsley
- Small Handful Fresh Basil
- 1 Ripe Avocado
- Juice of 1/4 Lemon
- Sea Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Cook the spaghetti in well salted water.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the garlic clove and place it in a large, deep frying pan with a good glug of olive oil and the capers. Set over a medium heat, and fry until the garlic is hot, sizzling and starting to brown a little.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon zest, most of the herbs (keeping a little back to garnish your bowl) and the avocado, cubed. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Drain the pasta, removing most of the water but making sure the spaghetti strands still cling onto a good amount of starch; this will help make the sauce.
- Add it to the frying pan along with another generous glug of oil (wholemeal spaghetti soaks up more oil than the regular kind) and the lemon juice.
- Stir everything so it is combined, pour into a bowl (I feel that eating this out of an Emma Bridgewater Toast & marmalade bowl only enhances the experience) and finish off with the remaining herbs, a drizzle of oil and a good grind of black pepper.