Weekly Love: Week 168
The tail end of 22 has been all about doors closing. Some ends have come naturally, some doors have come by way of opportunities where I have had to make the decision to close the door myself, and some doors I’d rather not have had closed on me, and I have just had to learn to live with. Totally unexpectedly, I’ve realised over the past few weeks that at some point I became a ‘grown up’, and I’m not quite sure when that happened. If something bad has happened to you this week, or you’ve had to turn down an opportunity you wanted because you just knew that right now, you wouldn’t be able to make it work, sit down and think about it for a moment. I promise you you’ll be able to find a silver lining somewhere. I have.
1. Taking a long country walk with my Mummy for Mothers Day. | 2. Homemade Victoria Sponge and Bloom & Wild blooms (get 15% off using RACHELBLOOMS) for Mothers Day afternoon tea. | 3. Brightening up a cloudy day with Cajun Shrimp Tacos. | 4. Picking up my 23rd birthday present from my parents at the Apsinal of London store in Covent Garden. | 5. Munching on avocado toast with the Sainsbury’s team, learning about the delicious heritage tomatoes they’ll be launching this Spring for British Tomato Week, and checking out a awesome new design spice pots they’ll be rolling out soon, that I’m a little obsessed with. | 6. Tracking down Bergamot Lemons in Waitrose of all places to make the Seriously Lemon Lemon Sorbet from Nigel Slater’s The Kitchen Diaries III.
- This tropical breakfast bar basically looks like heaven.
- Asda’s Easter television advert is bloody brilliant this year.
- 12 free activities do to in Los Angeles. I love wandering the Venice canals whenever I can.
- Speaking of L.A., Design Love Fest have put together a bougainvillea round up which is basically the love letter to my second city you’d only understand if you’ve lived there.
- Also, they’ve put together a roundup of their favourite L.A. brunches. I can second The Tasting Kitchen (my favourite brunch in the world), and I want to tick off the rest of the list.
- God the Causeway Coast in Northern Ireland is beautiful.
- Carrie has put together another great guide to Lisbon.
- Kate has some great ideas for how to store products in your bathroom. Also, she’s shared her in-flight beauty essentials. Me? I love Clinique’s All About Eyes Roll On.
- This great piece from The Kitchn highlights why the writer (and myself also) is a Millennial who does not eat cereal, and not because she (and I) is too lazy to clear up the bowl and spoon.
- Did you know that you can cook rice in the oven? I didn’t.
- Emiko Davies takes us behind the scenes of her first cookbook, which is one of the books I’m most excited about in 2016. I’ve got my copy.
- What this writer learnt working in Victoria’s Secret.
- Joy talks about the very real stresses of writing a cookbook.
- Food 52 schools us on buttercream, and teaches us the difference between (and how to make) Italian, Pudding Style, French, American German and Swiss buttercream.
7. Attending a baking masterclass with Paul Hollywood, learning all about his new range of baking mixes. I’m actually really impressed with the brownie mix. | 8. Trying courgetti for the first time (c/o Sainsbury’s who gave me a bag of their ready spriralised courgette), made with a ‘whatever I have in my fridge’ version of Rose’s Pad Thai Salad. | 9. Going on a gin tasting adventure thanks to the guys at Flaviar, by way of a Short Southside Fizz. Full review (and cocktail recipe!) to follow soon. | 10. Mixing up a ‘Iago’s Cona-I-Kaze’ (inspired by one of my favourite Shakespeare plays, Othello), from Shakespeare, Not Stirred, a great little book full of Bard inspired cocktail and canapé recipes, and Shakespearian literary criticism I was sent to review. It is literally the perfect gift for someone like me (English Literature graduate with a love for quirky books and 5 o’Clock cocktails!) | 11. Sunday brunching with a Smoked Salmon Bagel Breakfast Casserole. | 12. One of the recipes I’ve put together for my month long #MyVita collaboration with Ryvita, Hummus, Pomegranate Seed & Pomegranate Molasses, a combination I’m super addicted to at the moment!
- Are the worlds most iconic beers just Bud Light in different bottles?
- 9 Wine Tasting Tips Every Hostess Should Know.
- Spoon Fork Bacon take us inside their prop room. Colour me jealous.
- I am very excited to make this grapefruit pudding cake.
- Beyond Kimchi: 15 Essential Tools & Ingredients for Korean Cooking.
- Angelica’s editors letter to celebrate 2 years of About Time Magazine is serious real talk for anyone who runs their own website.
- This is how you make vegan mayo, because the stuff in the jar tastes like plastic.
- This is how you rescue a pan of overcooked rice.
- In other rice related news: this is how you make a sushi burrito.
- Leeds? Amy has found you 5 new spots you simply have to try.
- Kristabel has written a really great post aimed at PR’s and brands, from a bloggers perspective, on the do’s and don’ts of blogger outreach. She links to British Beauty Blogger’s piece on how small beauty brands should approach bloggers for collaboration, which is also a great read.
- Joy has posted a recipe for Apricot Balsamic Chicken which I have a suspicion is going to turn into one of my dinner time staples with a big bowl of brown rice.
- This vegan veggie pizza looks so good I think I’d forget I was not eating animal products.
- 5 Tips to Avoid Looking Like a Tourist in France.
- Here are 6 things you should do to take care of your kitchen knives.
- What exactly *is* rosé wine?
What have you been enjoying this week, and what do you have planned for the weekend?