Friday, 13 May 2016
Recipe: Barbecue Turmeric Chicken Thighs
Today is Friday and we’ve got the whole weekend ahead of us. So, I thought I’d share with you all a killer barbecue chicken recipe (that only requires half an hour to marinade) and a beer to pair it with so you’ve got something to throw on the grill. This quick and easy turmeric yellow marinade is the work of moments to throw together, given an extra kick with a spritz of fresh lime juice just before serving. I’ve adapted it from the Spiced Chicken Escalopes in Simply Nigella (yes I am still obsessed with and cooking my way through that book) to make something just right for this season of ‘it’s almost summer but not quite’ grilling.
I’m actually a big beer person. While in the winter I’m a red wine girl all the way, in the summer I’m just as lightly to reach for a cold one after work than a glass of something usually French. My fridge is always stocked with Corona for something light and drinkable, but I love discovering new brews (especially IPA) from all over the place. The guys at Goose Island in Chicago recently offered to send me a few bottles, and I’ve found that their famous IPA (apparently the favourite beer of the President) with its very strong, hoppy profile pairs well with this chicken; the strong urban flavour from the vinegar and turmeric hold up well to the ale without being overwhelmed. I think if I went to Chicago the flavour would remind me of it, the way I love drinking Anchor Beer as the taste really captures its native California.
I’ve used enough chicken and marinade here to serve four people (two chicken thighs each), just half the recipe if there is just the two of you. There are three of us, and for dinner I used six thighs and the full amount of marinade. As well as a couple of bottles of Goose IPA, and a good serving of my Purple Cabbage Slaw with Cucumber & Dill.
These Barbecue Turmeric Chicken Thighs are something a little different to throw on the barbecue and are delicious finished with a spritz of fresh lime.
- 2 tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Sunflower Oil
- 1 tsp Ground Turmeric (my spices are c/o Absolute Spice at the moment)
- 2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 8 Skinless Boneless Chicken Thighs
- Juice of 1/2 Lime
- Combine the vinegar, oil and spices in a large plastic bag. Add the chicken pieces, push all the air out of the bag and tie a knot in the top. Massage the bag so that all of the chicken is well coated in the marinade, and leave to marinate for half an hour while you light the barbecue.
- Barbecue the chicken until charred on each side and the chicken is just cooked through.
- Transfer the chicken to a warm serving dish, and squeeze over the lime juice just before serving.