Weekly Love: Week 133
If you don’t own a copy, I want you to go and buy a book. I’m so serious about this, the following link for it is not even an affiliate link. Earlier this month, Anthony Bourdain, one of my favourite food writers and probably one of the biggest influences on food journalism and culture in my lifestyle took his own life in a French hotel room. When I was living in Los Angeles, between classes I used to sit under a tree on the UCLA campus reading his book Kitchen Confidential, which not only changed the way people looked at restaurants, but made me want to write about food. It is a brilliant book regardless, but if you’re passionate about food (and as you’re reading this book, I assume you are) it will speak to something in you in a way few other books will. Get your copy from Amazon here, or even better, go find one in your local independent bookstore.
1. Beautiful bright carrots at the farmers market. | 2. A big family (Saturday) lunch of roast beef, roast potatoes and of course way too may Yorkshire Puddings for 4 people! | 3. A simply divine dish of coffee rubbed steak and miso wasabi mashed potatoes from Asia de Cuba at Taste of London – a full blog post with everything we ate there coming soon! | 4. Cafe Pacifico, a Mexican joint in Covent Garden with award-winning cocktails were both kind enough to give us tickets to the festival, and to make us some free margaritas in frozen watermelon and passion fruit – must tries! Again, more on them in my post! | 5. Final plug for my upcoming Taste of London post, promise! It was also great to catch up with Mirabeau wines, my favourite rose wine from Provence – I’ve got a few bottles they sent me kicking around so keep an eye out what I do with them! | 6. Grilling a whole load of delicious veggies on the barbecue.
- Gem has some fantastic tips for cutting down on food waste – and your food bill!
- Tania also has some great tips for trying to go 100% waste free.
- Also, she’s been on a digital detox, and this is what she learnt.
- Claire went to Malta, and as usual her photos were stunning. She also went to Provence with my favourite winemakers Mirabeau and I have her whole trip bookmarked.
- Here is everything you need to know about buying cheap rose wine.
- And, America? Here are 10 delicious rose bottles to enjoy this summer.
- Rose has some great tips for being more confident. Also, she’s been to Mykonos on a girls break, which has me hankering after the Greek islands again. (Part 2)
- Stephen travelled to the Yemen against FCO advice and what he reports back is fascinating.
- He’s also travelled to North Korea, and his post is really worth reading.
- Reading the Brunchographer’s review of Filifera in Hollywood has me craving another Los Angeles trip to visit all my favourite eateries, and discover a whole load of new ones!
- Olivia has been in Paris, and has 10 new addresses you need to know about.
- Also, now I’ve seen her pictures from the new Lina Stores restaurant on I want to go!
- Mackenzie also has shared some great addresses for your next Paris trip.
- And, she takes us around a beautiful rose garden in the city.
- She has also been in St Tropez, and god I need a sunshine, seaside holiday! (Part 2)
- Angie has found the perfect terrace for us all to sip champagne and eat seafood on in London this summer.
7. Chilling with a good book and painting my nails with a side of Galaxy (#ad) | 8. Chilling with a strawberry pavlova in the back of a pub quiz guessing the answers to all the questions! | 9. Enjoying a delicious sushi lunch at Yashin Ocean House. | 10. Doing a single-use plastic free week challenge with BRITA – find out how I got on here! | 11. Sorry, actually here is another Taste of London snap – simply divine truffle shu mai from Duddell’s. | 12. Making a bit more of an effort for Monday night supper: sea bream with beans, lemon and cherry tomatoes (full details here!)
- How to make your own Chinese chilli oil at home.
- Can I please have everything from the new Sarah Patrick collection?
- Mulia went on a food tour of Iceland, and I want everything she ate.
- 5 things Amy has learnt starting her own podcast.
- While it seems obvious once you’ve read it, this is how to pit cherries without a pitter.
- Here are some great tips for keeping your kitchen cool during the summer.
- The Lifestyle Edit sits down with Deliciously Ella to talk about all aspects of her business, and some of the insights on her growth are fascinating.
- Stephanie has put together a delicious guide to the best high end Chinese spots in Las Vegas.
- These are the 12 markets you have to visit on your next trip to Paris.
- A brief history of churros, and where to get them in Barcelona.
- I think I need to take my cues from Scandinavia to eat better breakfasts.
- Lindsay has been to Verona, and I now want Italy to be my next trip.
- Carrie has really captured all the sights and bustle of Mumbai.
- Especially as I’ve now eaten there in Covent Garden, Julia’s photos have made me want to visit Petersham Nurseries proper – it looks so idilic!
- Kelly has put together a great guide to visiting New York for the first time.
- The ultimate guide to going summer berry picking.
- In case you need more help or inspiration planning your holidays, Angie has 10 things to do in Buenos Ares, Argentina.
What have you been enjoying this week, and what do you have planned for the weekend? For more like this, don’t forget to sign up to my monthly newsletter (and get my free Quick & Easy Weeknight Recipes eBook) which hits your inboxes on the first Sunday of each month packed full of seasonal eats, mini cookbook and restaurant reviews, and other updates.