An easy, no egg homemade strawberry ice cream recipe perfect for serving piled high in a waffle cone!
- 300g (10 oz) strawberries
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 160ml (2/3 cups) whole milk
- 150g (5 oz) white granulated sugar
- 300ml (1 1/4 cups) double (heavy) cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Hull and roughly chop the strawberries. Combine the strawberry pieces with the lemon juice and 50g (2 oz) of the sugar in a small bowl and leave to macerate in the fridge for two hours.
- Using a hand held electric whisk, whisk the rest of the sugar into the milk until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Roughly mash the strawberry pieces with a fork before adding them, along with their juices to the milk, along with the double cream and the vanilla extract. Blitz a couple of times with the whisk to make sure everything is combined and leave the mixture to stand in the fridge for at least two hours, but preferably overnight.
- Churn the ice cream in your ice cream maker as per the manufacturer instructions. I find this usually takes 40-50 minutes – the ice cream should be just softer than scoopable. Meanwhile, prepare two clean tubs that hold at least 750ml each for the ice cream.
- Quickly scoop the ice cream into the two prepared tubs, smoothing the tops over with a spatula so that it is easy to scoop later. Get them in the freezer as fast as you can, and leave them to set for at least two hours before scooping.
I find these food storage boxes from Lakeland (ad) are great for stacking in the freezer.