Weekly Love: the one I spent reading in the sunshine
1. Salt and pepper squid by the harbour from The Smokehouse in Folkestone. | 2. Reviewing Crescent City: House of Earth and Blood (aka one of the best books I’ve read so far this year) over on my book review Instagram account. | 3. Mummy’s beautiful, purple, fragrant home grown sweet peas. | 4. Classic Crayfish Rolls from pg 194 of One Pan Pescatarian (ad) | 5. Feta, Veggie and Lemon Bake from pg 26 of One Pan Pescatarian. | 6. A mini book haul from my first trip to an actual bookshop since lockdown: The Confessions of Frannie Langton (ad) and The Warlow Experiment (ad).
- This great essay about losing the family courgettes with a divorce is wonderful, and thinks about growing your own, food, memories and family.
- Another great food essay: how a simple meat sauce and pasta can transport you around the world, and back in time.
- These cute little salmon pancakes made to look like macarons would just be perfect served up at a small, intimate drinks party.
- Here are 12 fantastic ways to preserve sage.
- Also: here is an excellent guide to freezing summer produce for later.
- Love and Lemons have put together a great guide to one of my favourite store cupboard ingredients: capers.
What have you been finding small pockets of joy in this week, and what have you got planned this weekend? I’ve got a load of boxes to sort out, but hopefully I’ll find some time to enjoy the sunshine too!
For more like this, don’t forget to sign up to my monthly newsletter (and get my free Quick & Easy Weeknight Recipes eBook) which hits your inboxes on the first Sunday of each month packed full of seasonal eats, mini cookbook and restaurant reviews, and other updates! Stay safe!