Weekly Love: the one where we got ready for Christmas!
1. Another stunning lunch at Water Lane, this time in their Carnation House greenhouse. | 2. A stunning steak main dish at the hottest new opening in Kent right now: Tallow. | 3. From my BBC Food Chanukah collection but delicious at any time of the year: Cauliflower Latkes. | 4. Speaking of Tallow, can we just discuss how beautiful their dining room is for a moment? | 5. And another from BBC food that also makes a fantastic Christmas cookie: Dark Chocolate, Apricot & Pistachio Rugelach. | 6. And from my newsletter ingredient this month: Meatballs in Tomato & Cinnamon Sauce.
- A nutritionist explains the difference between a food allergy and a food intolerance. As someone with the latter, I’m fed up of explaining why I don’t have the former.
- David Lebovitz interviews cookbook author Kate Leahy which has made me both want her new book and gives some great insight on how cookbooks get written.
- A fantastic, Italian history of the yule log.
- I need to visit this white truffle festival.
- Leftover stuffing latkes are a thing and I’m so here for them.
- And, the ‘put a carrot in your latke frying oil’ tip that is going to change the way I shallow fry forever.
- Also, the history of both the Chanukah doughnut and of Dunkin’ Donuts in America. They exist side by side in this article for a reason.
- Some further reading: how Chanukah became the ‘Jewish Christmas’ in America.
- Vegetable gardeners? Gem has put together a super helpful 2022 seed sowing calendar.
- Desperately hoping this new American baking show streams here in the UK.
- I’ve never really got the whole American obsession with Christmas cookie baking, but this personal essay on the family tradition is heartwarming.
- Do you like in New York or Los Angeles? You can get your Christmas tree upcycled into essential oil.
- Why sorrel is an integral part of a Jamaican Christmas.
What have you been finding small pockets of joy in this week, and what have you got planned this weekend? Once I’ve got my booster jab tomorrow I’m on my Christmas break, I’m looking forward to doing plenty of reading, a proper kitchen audit of what had got pushed to the back of the cupboards, and to cook some things that need a bit of time taken over them at Christmas! Have a wonderful break everyone!