Weekly Love: Week 131
Hasn’t the weather been glorious? I know some people have found it too hot, but I live for the Summer weather, both in the city when I’ve been flitting to and from meetings, and in the countryside where I can find a nice sunny spot to do my days work from with a nice tall glass of iced water. Working your way across London to meet people in various cafes and office is so much nicer when you don’t have to worry about having an umbrella, and where their air conditioning comes as a pleasant surprise. In case you had not noticed, as usual I’ve been eating a lot recently (what changes?), so I hope that has been suitably reflected in this edition!
1. Summer time means it is finally fully BBQ season! | 2. The simply show stopping Queen of Puddings dessert at Deeson’s in Canterbury. | 3. It is salad season, and this beauty is coming soon! | 4. Mackerel and Pickled Red Onion Crostini, and a flip through Waitrose Kitchen between meetings at my favourite little Italian bar in Covent Garden, Augustus Harris. | 5. Supper sunny country days over the Kentish countryside. | 6. Sampling Club Burrito in Canterbury. I’d call it more drunk food than a restaurant destination, but I want to go back for cocktails because their guacamole is amazing.
- Ed Caesar’s fascinating piece titled ‘Shooting the messengers’ in British GQ gives an interesting, and must read insight into the realities and costs of war reporting across the Middle East.
- Jessica has visited a beautiful Batuan Temple. Also on her trip, she’s been using some pretty epic rice fields as the backdrop to her outfit photos.
- I got shipped to California to date Tech guys.
- Elsie has some fantastic ideas for some delicious looking mocktails.
- I now want to fly back to Los Angeles to buy up all of the current Ann Taylor collection after seeing all the beautiful photos Blair shot wearing it in Central Park.
- California? 21 things you (and I) never knew about In-N-Out Burger.
- IFB has written a helpful post on how bloggers can make the most of sponsored post opportunities with affiliate networks, including my two networks, rewardStyle and Mode Media.
- Alice has shared some behind the scenes snaps from shooting recipes for The Food Network.
- Anna shows us how to make pretty ice cream cone sleeves out of origami paper.
- Joy runs us through the differences between different types of baking flours.
- Emily has written a fantastic guide to Los Angeles, my favourite, non-London city in the world. She’s also put together an equally great guide to prepping for Summer.
- Laetitia has also made an interactive map of her fave L.A. spots including some of my faves.
- Bri hosted a beautiful backyard dinner party in L.A. with Kitchen Surfing and One Fine Stay.
- Jacintha shares her fantastic travel photos and video from Palestine.
- The New Potato has sat down with Christina Tosi, the powerhouse behind Momofuku Milk Bar in Williamsburg, New York.
7. The ‘Chocolate Chiller Thriller’ with Honeycomb ice cream at The Griffins Head, my favourite pub in Kent. | 8. Trust when I move off of Mile End Road Soho House open up a Dirty Burger/ Chicken Shop outpost there. Their English Muffin topped with Fried Egg, Roast Tomato and Avocado breakfast is unbeatable. | 9. Their raspberry doughnuts are also amazing. | 10. Good green breakfast smoothies, | 11. My heart almost stopped when I discovered that my favourite stationary company in the world, Sugar Paper, Los Angeles now stocks selected styles of their notecards and notebooks in Selfridges. | 12. Mussels in Cream and Cider at Deeson’s.
- The 20 different types of food photos you’ll see on Instagram. Guilty as charged.
- Emma has put together a fantastic blog post that includes her recipe for Treacle Tart, some great how to videos for making the pastry case (an area that is not my strongest point!), and all the quotes from Harry Potter and a mini academic analysis showing that it is his favourite pudding.
- Vicky Tsai has put together an insiders guide to Kyoto for The TIG.
- Darling Magazine has put together a lovely city guide to Bali. They’ve also put one together for Reykjavik which I can’t wait to use in my free afternoon there next month.
- Over on Apartment Therapy: We Bought A 94 Room French Chateaux (to renovate!)
- 15 Philosophical Quotes Every Londoner Needs.
- Melissa has put together a great round up of stolen London restaurant concepts. (via Amy)
- Tieghan echoes my thoughts on Summer food, and shares an amazing strawberry ice cream.
- If you’ve ever wondered what my corner of the Kentish countryside looks like, Sherin snapped some photos on the walk I dragged her on after filling up on a 3 course meal at my local pub.
- Rose had dinner at the Bonnie Gull Seafood Shack, somewhere I’ve been wanting to eat forever.
- No idea how I ended up reading about the Salem Witch Trials, but it really is fascinating.
- Karlie Kloss sits down with Into The Gloss.
- Food 52 shows us how to chill a bottle faster.
- How Michelle Obama pays for her wardrobe.
- Long live the hotel mini bar.
- Do female chefs have to be thin and pretty?
What have you been enjoying this week, and what do you have planned for the weekend? I’m going to be at home working hard on future continent, as I’m off on holiday for two weeks the weekend after! And I’ve got to unpack all the boxes that used to be my London flat…