Weekly Love: Week 149
All of this beautiful sunshine has made me very excited for the fact that this time next month I’ll be back in the only other place I’ve ever called ‘home’. I’ve rented an apartment for a month in my favourite Venice neighbourhood of Los Angeles, California and as well as working on the blog on the balcony and revisiting some of my favourite spots, I can’t wait to delve even deeper into one of my favourite cities in the world. If you have any recommendations for foodie spots etc. that have popped up since I hopped on that plane moved back to England in June of 2013 I’d love to hear them in the comments section!
1. Enjoying a nice local brew out on the beach between campaign stops. | 2. Upholding our recent tradition of going to the Point to Point at Charing on Easter Saturday. I finished the day £1.50 up! (You can read my post on last years Point to Point here) | 3. Big love to Waitrose Kitchen for including one of my photos and recipes in their current issue. | 4. Sunday brunching at the Rosewood with Jasmine, Uyen, Madeline, Shu & Kavita. Every weekend in the courtyard of the hotel they run London’s Slow Food Market (my pick? Gosnell’s Mead) and in the Mirror Room they serve an epic, self service all you can eat brunch with everything from sides of salmon, hand made butters and a waffle, pancake and egg bar. And that is even before you start ordering hot dishes. You can find more details here! | 5. A simple plate of Italian tomatoes dressed with sea salt, fresh basil and olive oil for lunch. (The tomatoes cam from the launch of Theo Randall’s My Simple Italian – more on the book when I’ve had a chance to read it properly!) | 6. Yoo Moo’s tropical yogurt lollies are my new sunny day obsession.
- Over at The Debrief I’ve shared my ultimate go to pasta bake recipe.
- I love Nicole’s photo diary from Malacca.
- As much as I dislike Paxman and I think he is a bit full of himself in this article, his piece from The Times on how to do a television interview is still good and interesting reading. (£)
- Why did I not know that you could make Honeysuckle Ice Cream? Also, this recipe for a homemade Lemon Cookie Gelato seems like an excellent idea.
- The Kitchn has put together a round up of the best non-alcoholic substitutes for red and white wine in cooking. Great if you’re running low of you’re a tee-totaller. Also, they have some great tips if you’re attempting to recreate a restaurant dish at home.
- Oh, and more useful stuff from The Kitchn: The Correct Ratio When Substituting Dried Herbs for Fresh. (Basically, go subscribe to The Kitchn!)
- Refinery 29 has rounded up the 10 most costly mistakes you can make at the salad bar. I wish I’d read this before I became addicted to the UCLA student union salad bar as a student!
- 16 Times Blair Waldorf Guided Us Through Life.
- Lea has some fantastic tips for putting together a dinner party on a budget. She also has put together a post full of brilliant ideas for healthy packed lunches.
- I’m looking forward to Instagramming the ‘No Kardashian Parking’ signs that have been popping up all over Hollywood when I’m back in Los Angeles.
- Kristin has shared some of the lessons she learnt writing her first cookbook. Also, I found this post on 101 Cookbooks on writing a cookbook proposal both useful and fascinating.
- Lucy took a simply stunning trip to Dahkla in Morocco.
- Nashville? Here is a round up of brunch spots that looks simply mouthwatering.
- And London? Olivia has put together a round up of her favourite places for afternoon tea.
- If you’re going to Berlin any time soon, the Michelberger Hotel looks fantastic. Oh, and if you’re going to be in Egypt any time soon, this looks like the resort to stay in.
- On that note, add The Rectory Hotel in the Cotswolds to that list, too!
7. Planting a tray of micro greens in the back porch to use in Spring salads. | 8. Bright and vibrant Isle of Wight tomatoes at the Rosewood Hotel’s Slow Food Market. | 9. Wood Pigeon, Black Pudding and Forced Rhubarb for lunch at The Good’s Shed in Canterbury. | 10. The most incredible Saturday afternoon pub lunch at The Compasses Inn at Crundale, just outside of Canterbury. | 11. Brand new business cards for 2015-16 from Moo. | 12. Lazy Sunday afternoon cocktails and the most amazing rosemary skinny fries at the bar of the Great Northern Hotel at King’s Cross, plotting Los Angeles adventures.
- Emily shares all of the apps that help her manage her busy life and blog. Also, Londoners? These are the 9 best apps to get the most out of our city.
- In case you were wondering, this is how the IPA got its name.
- Let us say yes to a homemade Pea, Proscuitto and Burrata pizza.
- Claire spent her Easter break in Scotland, and her photo diary is simply beautiful.
- Under newly proposed legislation, France could make it illegal to dress provocatively in public.
- A Beautiful Mess has some great tips for self promoting online without annoying people.
- If you’re planning a California road trip anytime soon, Pinch of Yum has put together a great post on their top 10 places you must visit along Highway One.
- Harriet has shared some of her favourite podcasts, most of which I’ve never heard of and I now can’t wait to get my teeth into next time I have a moment.
- They’ve excavated some Ancient Egyptian beer kegs in Tel Aviv!
- I see at least one of these Grapefruit Thyme cocktails in my very near future.
- America? The Kitchn tried and ranked 6 different brands of grocery store orange juice so that you’ll know which one to buy the next time you go to the store.
- Also, they’ve worked out the egg to dairy ratio for the perfect quiche without a recipe.
- Here are 5 fantastic tips for better Instagram photos.
- Kristabel has put together a bumper guide to Barcelona. She’s also written a great piece and filmed a lovely video on the subject of confidence, which is a must read/ watch.
- I’ll have one of each from Joy Wilson’s Spring cookbook wish list.
- How much some of your favourite beauty Youtubers make a month is simply staggering.
- 5 Culinary School Secrets Every Home Cook Needs to Know.
- Carrie’s photos make me really want to travel back to Athens.
- Has anyone ever made waffles with yogurt before? I feel this needs investigating.
- Elodie has some great tips for building a designer wardrobe on a budget.
- This Spicy Mango & Avocado Rice Bowl ticks all the colourful food boxes.
What have you been enjoying this week, and what do you have planned for the weekend? Saturday was another day of campaign politics for me this weekend, and on Sunday I’m going to be running around prepping for a very exciting foodie photo shoot that I’ve got penciled in on Monday; I can’t wait to share the results (the photo and the exciting menu I’ve put together) with you all!