Weekly Love: Week 156
Hello September! I know this seems funny to hear this from a sun-chaser such as myself, but I’ve actually been quite looking forward to Autumn this year, for all the cozy cooking, Winter boots and cashmere jumpers. So, what have I been up to? Flying the flag for my little corner of the world, over at Buzzfeed I’ve written another local food guide: 31 Things You Must Eat In East Kent. As you’ll probably see from the post my new favourite places for food are Deal and Walmer, as they’re within walking distance from my office, so you should probably expect some blog posts from there popping up over the next few months. Also, I’m off to Edinburgh this weekend, so be sure to follow me on Instagram for foodie updates!
1. Walking home along Southbank after a performance of the Oresteia at the Globe Theatre. It was a pretty great performance, and they still have some tickets left if you have a free afternoon or evening you’re looking to fill. | 2. Sunday night bubble baths with rose petals, my newest scented candle (Freesia from Diptyque) and my favourite new (super great value) lavender and lily cream baths from M&S. | 3. French patisserie on display at Borough Market. | 4. Walking past one of my favourite houses I discovered during the election in Walmer, which is always beautifully in bloom. | 5. English rhubarb, Victoria plums, courgettes, tomatoes, green beans and spring onions from the vegetable plot. | 6. Plump Kent strawberries for sale on Deal High Street.
- I wrote about my encounter with urban bees in Glasgow for Great British Chefs.
- Also, over at The Debrief, I’ve reviewed 5 packs of supermarket sushi, so you don’t have to (no, really. I don’t think I can look at a piece of sushi the same way ever again!)
- I know it needs no introduction, but Giulia’s brunch photos from Granger & Co. in Clerkenwell are still required viewing. I apologise in advance for how hungry they’ll make you.
- Kate has found a great new product if you have come back from your holiday with a tan, but you don’t want to have to buy a totally new shade of makeup. Also, Kate’s pictures from Croatia highlight why you need to follow her on Instagram, stat.
- Izy shows us how to make homemade chocolate hobnob biscuits at home.
- How to get lipstick stains out of practically any item of clothing.
- Lea has some great tips on how to be a good house guest.
- Am I the only one who has really wanting to make some sort of roast chicken with grapes recently since the weather has started to get colder?
- PUNCH schools us on the history (and future) of sangria.
- Also from PUNCH, their fascinating essay on the decline of ‘singles bars’ in America also doubles as an interesting history of T.G.I Friday’s and how air hostesses influenced bar culture.
- What you need to know about the beauty product grey market.
- 5 Mistakes To Avoid When Making Brownies.
- How To Write A Condolence Note.
7. A lunch of the creamiest buffalo milk mozzarella, home grown tomatoes, pea shoots and lots of extra virgin olive oil, fleur de sel and freshly ground black pepper. | 8. Kent Victoria plums, again for sale outside the greengrocers on Deal High Street. | 9. Setting up to shoot my recipe for Korean Barbecue-style Steak Tacos. | 10. Griddling home grown tomatoes and spring onions to use in a barbecue steak sauce – it adds such a wonderful smokey flavour. | 11. French pate and bread from No Name Shop in Sandwich, paired with French olives, home grown tomatoes and French wine for weekend lunch on the patio. | 12. Lemon, Poppyseed and Olive Oil muffins from James Morton’s How Baking Works – recipe and book review coming soon!
- South East London? There is a new food market you need to check out: Druid Street Market.
- Mojito Margaritas. Just think about that for a moment.
- Molly went to Israel, and I’m hungry already. (part 2)
- Ana has some great tips on how to tell if the makeup you’ve purchased online is fake.
- You know that new YSL compact I’m excited about? Into The Gloss have already reviewed it.
- Does Putting Cheap Vodka Through a Water Filter Make it Better?
- Stephanie has posted 10 things you need to know when working with brands as a food blog.
- A Beautiful Mess schools us on how to make your own rose water face mist.
- America? Here is a comprehensive list of where you can actually return opened beauty products if they’re the wrong shade, or give you an allergic reaction etc.
- Spotlighting another part of Kent I don’t spend much time in, Kristabel has put together a great guide how to spend a day in Margate.
- I now want to make a Basil Mascarpone Buttercream Frosted Chocolate Cake.
- New York? David Lebovitz has found your new favourite ice cream parlour.
- Refinery 29 schools us on the history of the burrito.
- Rose experiences a St Lucia Friday Fish Fry.
- What To Cook Tonight hosted a whiskey and marshmallow toasting party.
- Jacintha has hunted down all the best Swedish cafes in London for us.
What have you been enjoying this week, and what do you have planned for the weekend? I’m heading North of the border with a whole group of other blogger girls, so as well as following me on Instagram, be sure to follow Kristabel, Lucy, Kim, Lucie, Lisette, Sarah-Louise and Kate to stay updated with our trip.