Friday, 07 October 2016
Student Suppers: Vegan Loaded Nachos
Usually I don’t really do ‘vegan’ or ‘sugar free’ or ‘gluten free’. However, when it comes to food stuffs that are usually loaded up with cheese (I can’t eat most cheeses) sometimes a vegan option is how I know I’m getting a delicious favourite of a normally cheesy classic without having to worry. Nachos are usually a big one for me; I adore them, but if I’m sharing with people I usually only get to nibble at the few around the edges that have escaped the mass of melted cheese they’re usually drenched in, losing out on all the other great toppings.
Over the Summer as a starter before she served us up some of her delicious chocolate beef chilli (sadly she does not actually have the recipe, I asked!) my best friend Kathryn made a big tray of cheesy nachos for everyone, but put together a special salsa and guacamole loaded, cheese free bowl of nachos just for me. I took her lovely gesture thinking of me with her menu and ran with it, and this is the result; a tray of nachos loaded up with so many wonderful toppings that your friends might not even realise that you’ve set something completely vegan and plant based (I’d recommend 100% corn chips) in front of them.
I prefer red pickled peppers to green, and it can be really hard to find them as opposed to green jarred jalapeños. As you’ve probably already noticed, today I’m sharing another one of Baxters’ new Deli Toppers, a great jar of three different types of jalapeños that are perfect to add a little spicy hit to your nachos. I’ve loaded mine here up with all of my favourites, but feel free to freestyle with whichever Tex-Mex flavours and toppings you like. This also makes a great lunch or TV supper (Saturday night X-Factor munchies, anyone?), so the measurements below make enough for one person. Obviously, scale up to suit a bunch of you.
These vegan loaded nachos are full of bright, vibrant colours and flavours.
- 3 Large Handfuls Lightly Salted Corn Tortilla Chips
- 1/2 Small Red Onion, finely chopped
- 3 Large Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Small Handful Fresh Coriander
- Sea Salt
- 1 Small Ripe Avocado
- Dash of Tequila
- 1/2 Lime
- Large Handful Cooked & Drained Black Beans
- 2 Large Radishes, thinly sliced
- 10-12 Baxters Deli Toppers Jalapeños
- Scatter the tortilla chips across a tray or large plate, then get started on the toppings.
- To make the salsa, combine the red onion, tomatoes, half of the fresh coriander (finely chopped) and a pinch of salt to taste.
- To make the guacamole, mash together the avocado, sea salt to taste, lime juice to taste (about 1/4 of the lime, wedge the rest), and a dash of tequila.
- Scatter all of the toppings over the nachos, and enjoy straight away – the lack of cheese means the salsa could make the chips a bit soggy if they’re left to sit around for a while!
Remember, if you head over to the Baxters Deli Toppers microsite you can also enter a sweepstake to win a jar (great if you want to try out this recipe!) Also, remember, if you make these nachos remember to tag me (@makingmewonder on Twitter and @missrachelphipps on Instagram) and to use the hashtag #GetTopping (if you use the hashtag, you’ll also be entered into sweepstakes to win Taste of London tickets).
This is a sponsored post. To read my policy on sponsored posts, please click here.