Weekly Love: Week 187
Happy December everyone! ‘Tis the season for steaming cups of mulled wine in cozy London pubs (already ticked that one off of my list this week!), advent calendars, twinkly lights and The White Company’s ‘Winter’ scented candle. My diary is already packed with festive fun (and I still need to pencil in time to go and pick out the Christmas tree, and to go and see Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them!), and I already have a massive list of seasonal eats I can’t wait to get into the kitchen to create. If you’re looking for some seasonal inspiration, you can find all of my festive blog posts here, and you can find my festive Pinterest board here.
1. Deathly cold, but beautifully clear and sunny days walking around London. | 2. Brunching during my lunch break on Pulled Pork Eggs Benedict at Hope & Lane in Walmer. | 3. Beautiful climbing Autumn foliage, everywhere. | 4. Egg Pots and Skinny Bunny Smoothies at The Skinny Kitchen in Canterbury. | 5. Neon lights at night on Canterbury High Street. | 6. Monday night supper at the Pork & Co. cafe, again in Canterbury!
- Food 52 has put the four different ways you can mash potatoes to the test.
- The official White House photographer shares his favourite shots from Obamas time in office.
- Lucy’s photos from Santorini have me hankering after a Greek holiday.
- Because the best thing about festive eating is festive leftovers: 5 things to know about leftovers, according to a food safety expert.
- Claire has posted an (honest) review of Farmacy in Notting Hill. Also, she got an exclusive preview of the turning on of the Covent Garden Christmas lights.
- Okay, so I know Thanksgiving has been and gone for another year in America, but this piece from The Kitchn on what holiday food items (including a turkey!) that you can and can’t fly with in the USA with advise from a TSA agent amused me greatly.
- Here is your comprehensive guide to the Faroe Islands. Also from Hand Luggage Only, here are the boys picks for 15 incredible free things to do in Paris. And, they spent a lazy weekend in Amsterdam which is basically goals (that hotel bed!)
- Mani is still travelling in Japan, and her trip to Arashiyama looks fascinating.
- Obviously it is ridiculous, but Refinery 29’s video on living a week as a Freegan is worth watching for the dumpster diving segment alone.
- Jane has some great tips for packing light. Also, her post on the lessons she learnt as a medical student can and should be applied to us all.
- Bri has put together a great guide to everything you need to remember to provide in the guest bedroom when you have people to stay.
7. The best £4 slice in London at Homeslice in Covent Garden. | 8. Filling up on my favourite Kimchee Fried Rice from Our Korean Kitchen. | 9. Sunday afternoon Chicken Potsticker shaping from my new favourite cookbook, Molly On The Range. | 10. Stunning views out over London from Penguin Random House’s London HQ. | 11. Styling some of my favourite new releases from Penguin Random House this year, including Nadiya’s Kitchen. | 12. Pretty purple houses in Deal.
- In Boston, Rose takes us on a trip to (and shares the fascinating history of) the The Isabella Gardner Museum, as well as to a delicious brunch spot and the public library.
- Also, I’m not really the running type, but Rose has teamed up with Nike to bring us some actually pretty awesome running gear to keep you completely warm and dry.
- Oh, and she spent the most dreamy stay-cation in Suffolk. I want that bathtub! (Her second post from Suffolk is a must read for all non-Brits, it showcases our usual beach weather!)
- America? Glossier are launching a rich version of my all time favourite face cream, their wonderful priming moisturizer. Now they’ve announced international shipping, I’m excited.
- Another great shopping event I wish was happening here in the UK, Food 52 have teamed up with Madewell for their first kitchen range. Can I go shopping in L.A. for Christmas please?
- Also, Uber are brining out gift cards in places like Target in time for Christmas. Can these please get launched in the UK please (or, can we bring Target here because it is awesome?)
- Britain? Here are 5 spice blend alternatives to use instead of pumpkin spice.
- Kristabel has some great tips on choosing and buying the perfect handbag. Also, she has put five different foundations for darker skin tones at different price points to the test.
- Anne-Sophie has spend a lovely looking weekend break in Stockholm.
- The stories behind some of the world’s most iconic liquor and spirit bottles.
- So, the brunch at Dirty Bones looks fantastic. (You can read my dinner review there here!)
- I want to start stockpiling all of the rice in my freezer to make all of the congee.
- I want all of Gray Malin’s top ten prints.
For more delicious links, as well as mini cookbook reviews, pro-tips, seasonal eats and a few other surprises, don’t forget to sign up to my monthly newsletter which goes out the first Sunday of every month (aka on Sunday, so sign up so you don’t miss out on the last newsletter of 2016!) What have you been enjoying this week, and what do you have planned for the weekend?