Weekly Love: Week 197
Hello from Somerset! Thanks to the General Election, my job has temporarily relocated to Somerset, and I’ve spend the latter half of this week in England’s smallest city, the beautiful little city of Wells. I’ve already been totally charmed by all of the old buildings (it has the most intact collection of ecclesiastical buildings in Britain, making for a beautiful city centre around the Cathedral), and I’m already plotting a trip back here when I’m not working so I can truly enjoy walking around the moat surrounding the Bishops Palace and check out some of the cute looking cafes people who have found out I’m in Wells have been recommending to me.
1. Trying out the delicious cocktails at The Gladstone Arms, just around the corner from Borough station. It just re-opened last week, and I’m super excited to try their exciting looking, Borough Market sourced small plates at my new local. | 2. On Wisteria watch walking through Borough. | 3. Exploring Vicars Close in Wells City Centre. Look familiar from god knows how many films? | 4. A Mediterranean inspired spread to celebrate the Bank Holiday at The Boundary Rooftop – full review coming soon! | 5. My first Aperol Spriz of the season at Mercato Metropolitano. | 6. Visiting the Ebury team at Penguin Random House to talk all things publicity and marketing for Student Eats – don’t forget that you can pre-order it here!
- Happy Cinco de Mayo! To celebrate, here is a recipe for a basic, classic Margarita, as sadly there is still 13 weeks before I can share my go-to method from Student Eats.
- Mani has photographed the most beautiful snowscapes in Japan.
- Here is all the step by step, technical stuff you need to know about making fried chicken.
- This video of why you should not deep fry gnocchi is fantastic.
- These photos have pushed Seville right to the top of my Spain to-visit list.
- Here are some great tips for cleaning up broken glass, if you’re a total kitchen klutz like me!
- Honestly YUM has some great foodie tips if you’re visiting Mexico City.
- PUNCH has a great article about the importance of having a local bar, wherever you are in the world (Zinique in Venice is my haunt as a ‘transient Angelino’, by the way.)
- Here are some great tips if you like to use booze in your cooking or baking.
- Apparently I have spent over 25 days of my life watching my favourite shows such as Grey’s Anatomy, The West Wing and Bones. Here are the binge-watch stats on your favourites.
- This is why we should be treating cinnamon sticks like blocks of parmesan.
- Here are some great substitutes if you don’t want to buy a load of cocktail making equipment.
- Julia has some fantastic tips for planning trips an travel across the globe.
What have you been enjoying this week, and what do you have planned for the weekend? I’ll be spending the weekend campaigning in Somerset, hopefully in the sunshine, and breathing in the heady smells of blooming lilac and wisteria, which everyone here seems to have in their gardens and draped over their doorways!