Weekly Love: Week 201
Since we last spoke I’ve watched all 10 episodes of Sky Atlantic’s Riviera. You need to get through the first episode that just sets the scene, but afterwards it is super addictive with a cliffhanger at the end of every episode, and an epic twist at the end. Watch it if you loved the glossy, super rich with a rotten core theme of The Night Manager last summer, and/ or if you have an interest in fine art. Also, if you’re looking for a good deal mark your calendar’s: the next Amazon Prime day will be on 11th July, where so many things will be on discount, basically a Black Friday for Prime users. From now until Monday you can get ready with a year of Prime membership for only £59, down from £79, which basically connects you with all of Prime’s automatic streaming of movies, TV shows (including The Night Manager), music, books, and free next day delivery.
1. Soaking up the sun on the roof of the Palace of Westminster. | 2. Supporting some of my favourite vendors at Borough Market with my weekly shop. | 3. Weekend recipe testing: sea bass ceviche with lime, avocado, coriander, jalapeño and Kentish gooseberries. | 4. Drinking Frosé at Somerset House with the Sainsbury’s press team. | 5. Traditional Brittany galettes at MAMIE’S in Covent Garden. | 6. Peonies and sunflowers outside Angel tube station.
- I’m super excited for Cocktails in the City in London this summer, especially as some of my favourite (usually underground) bars will be there in the sunshine!
- I wish I’d have been at Camille’s summer backyard barbecue.
- Also, these are the pro’s and con’s of getting a charcoal or a gas barbecue (read: charcoal is always better, unless there is a reason why you can’t have one.)
- Olivia has put together a great guide for a seaside day trip to Broadstairs (yes, Wyatt and Jones is fantastic – you can read my full review here!!)
- Yaya and Lloyd have a great 24 hour guide to Zurich, Switzerland. Also, they’ve put together a great list of 11 spectacular and unusual places to visit in Europe.
- This essay on recipe as and the sharing of dishes and food in the age of social media is a must read. It also has a facinating anicdote on how dukkah spread around the world.
- I know it seems basic, but I need to start stocking my fridge with Strawberry Summer Water.
- Kristabel goes on a tour of the Deep South – I really want to do this tour one day! Also, she’s put together a (very colourful) guide for visitors to New Orleans.
- This is a great piece on what it is like to live in Egypt as a ‘dangerous’ country, as a Brit.
- Joy’s list of her favourite Instagrammers to follow is everything. Also, I’m going to start making layered summer salads like hers because, effort. And, her week in the form of a grocery list. Am I the only one always peering into other peoples baskets at the store?
- Photos from Rose’s Greek trip still have me hankering after a holiday in Greece.
- And, Julia’s snaps from Provence have me pondering a trip there too! (Part 2, Part 3. Part 4)
- More from Provence. It’s official. I want to go to Provence!
7. Waitrose new bake at home breadsticks, and my Mum made their Berry & Rhubarb Gin from the current issue of Waitrose Food – great with champagne! | 8. Celebrating the launch of this summer’s Magnum Pleasure Store where you can build your own Magnum, this year in Covent Garden on the Seven Dials. | 9. Friday evening walks through the Kentish countryside after hotfooting it on the train down after work.
- Mark Bittman has re-defined the meaning of the word ‘foodie’ in New York Magazine.
- Apparently, this trick will help you chill a bottle of wine in three minutes. Anyone tried it?
- Claire has an excellent habit of finding the most beautiful and unique hotels. This one’s in Bath.
- Starbucks in Japan has watermelon passion tea and I’m super jealous.
- Molly has made all of the delicious looking baked goods for her sister-in-law’s bridal shower.
- This is how you can build a riff on my drink of the summer: the classic Aperol Spritz.
- Jane shares here day in the life as a surgical intern/ junior doctor in Australia.
- Here is an easy trick to make great caramalised veggies in the oven.
- I really want to make this DIY Dipped Terracotta Wine Chiller.
- London? Immy has found you a fantastic veggie Sunday roast.
- Kate reviews her haul form glossier., the elusive American beauty brand I adore but you can’t really get (except for their lip balms) here in the UK.
- Yes I want to eat there for the food, but Saff’s review of the re-opened El Pastór in Borough market, where staff fought off terrorists with stools and chairs, is a poignant read.
- This is how you do a French aperitif properly. I also want to throw an Italian cicchetti party.
- PUNCH, on which type of ice works best in which cold drink or cocktail.
- Why was I not at this dreamy outdoor breakfast in the South of France?
- Here are some French home cooking tips you need to be aware of. Also, here is a beautiful, illustrated guide to regional French salads.
- Falafel Waffles. This is an excellent idea.
What have you been enjoying this week, and what do you have planned for the weekend? I’m checking out a restaurant that claims to be a Korean joint with influences from classic barbecue from the South, and probably just also catching up on some writing! For more like this, don’t forget to sign up to my monthly newsletter, which hits your inboxes on the first Sunday of each month (which yes, means this Sunday), packed full of seasonal eats, mini cookbook reviews, and other updates.