Weekly Love: the one where I’m baking lamingtons for Aussie bushfire relief
1. A delicious salt beef bagel from The Brass Rail in Selfridges Food Hall, served with an appropriately epic amount of mustard and a perfect proportioned (giant!) pickle. | 2. This month I’m helping raise money for Australian bushfire relief as part of Project Lamington alongside 35 other London chefs, bakers and food writers, including Crosstown Doughnuts, Ed Kimber, Lily Vanilli and Yotam Ottolenghi by auctioning and raffling off our own lamington and lamington-inspired signature bakes. Find out more (and donate for a chance to get your hands on some of our lamingtons!) here. | 3. Beautifully blue winter skies over Southwark Cathedral. | 4. The BBC featuring one of my favourite recipes for them: my Potato Hash with Tomatoes, Peppers and Kale, a delicious one-pan veggie supper! | 5. More beautiful winter views of one of London’s cathedrals, this time St. Paul’s.| 6. Stunning short ribs from my local butchers for a slow cooker ragu.
- Michelle on how her Anglo-Chinese family celebrate Chinese New Year.
- Leslie, on why we should stop saving things ‘for a special occasion’. This is something I’m trying to get better at this year – both saving things unnecessarily and celebrating the small things.
- Even if you’re not doing Whole30, the types of everyday products that contain hidden sugars are still worth knowing when you do your food shop.
- Also, Kelly has posted the first part of her Whole30 diary and I really don’t think that I could do it.
- Eric has some great tips if you’re grocery shopping just for one.
- I am so here for this piece on meal prepping might not actually save you any time and money, and might help contribute to food waste – I’ve always suspected this!
- The Londonist has put together a brilliant, haunting and funny round up of all of London’s haunted tube stations – a great long read for when you’re, well, on the tube.
- Gaby has put together a surprisingly brilliant London food guide for out of towners.
- Yes I have become that person: I can’t wait to try this cleaning hack with a dishwasher tablet to clean the inside of my oven door.
- Skinny Taste have put together a great guide to subbing Greek yogurt in for other fats to make your meals healthier.
- Leslie has some really smart tips for eating healthier without dieting.
- Tania has some great tips for dealing with the winter blues.
For more like this, don’t forget to sign up to my monthly newsletter (and get my free Quick & Easy Weeknight Recipes eBook) which hits your inboxes on the first Sunday of each month packed full of seasonal eats, mini cookbook and restaurant reviews, and other updates!
What have you been enjoying this week, and what do you have planned for the weekend? For those of you already subscribed you’ll know we’ve been doing paleo at home this month – we’re getting a cheat day with friends over today and I’m making my lasagna and this chocolate cake, before having a lazy Sunday at home.