Weekly Love: the one with all the healthy(ish) New Year cooking
1. I’ve shared my ‘no recipe’ recipe for Chicken Schnitzel over on Instagram. | 2. From the latest edition of my newsletter ingredient, the recipe for my Sicilian-style Blood Orange & Fennel Salad with Pine Nuts. | 3. And from my January edition focusing on Leeks, my Garlicky Leek & Potato Soup. | 4. And, the perfect side dish for your roast chicken this weekend: my Creamed Leeks with Tarragon. | 5. In December we talked about Cinnamon, and I can’t recommend my recipe for Grated Carrot Salad with Cinnamon, Coriander & Pistachios enough. | 6. And as the ultimate side dish, my Caramalised Onion & Cinnamon Rice.
- This is how to make my beloved Korean Gochujang from scratch.
- Pine needle tea sounds amazing for right about now.
- Some interesting thoughts on how we perceive the food that other people eat.
- Maybe 2022 is the year I’ll get into chilli crisp with this from scratch recipe?
- Apparently pickled herring sandwiches are going to be a Jewish food trend this year too and I’m so here for it.
- The Kitchn has put together a brilliant 13 part checklist of things you should and should not be doing stacking the dishwasher. Say it after me: rinsing plates before stacking is bad for the environment, and bad for your wash cycle.
- Max Fletcher questions the real value of food awards.
- This roundup of the South East Asian dishes every Londoner should know is a brilliant piece of research and writing.
- Food52 ranks all the different types of re-usable and bio-degradable drinking straw on the market.
- Also, they’ve told the fascinating history of how it was tourists who made pizza one of Italy’s most recognisable dishes, not the Italians themselves.
- These homemade Chinese New Year snacks are stunning.
- The perils and promise of bean to bar chocolate.
- If yours works nearly half as hard as mine does you’ll need this guide on how best to clean your air fryer.
- I love the idea of adding butternut squash to butter chicken sauce to lighten it up a bit.
- A love letter to my beloved meyer lemons.
- Okay, so this on the go dip hack is rather clever.
What have you been finding small pockets of joy in this week, and what have you got planned this weekend? We’re heading out and about for some errands tomorrow, but otherwise I’m looking forward to a quiet one, a bit of tidying around the house, lots of reading on our new sofa, and I think I’m going to give this chili recipe a go!