I've found that Abbot Kinney Boulevard in Venice always pulls it out of the hat for simply fantastic places to eat (Gjelina and The Tasting Kitchen anyone?) so I knew that after a lazy few hours at the apartment and a wander around the canals Salt Air would be a pretty safe bet for Saturday morning brunch. Their menu is local, seasonal and with a bit of a seafood slant; absolutely everything we ate and drank was mouthwatering, and I now can't wait to return for their evening menu at some stage; I've heard great things!
Thursday, 21 May 2015
Monday, 18 May 2015
On Friday night after an afternoon of shopping at the Citadel outlet (who can say no to $25.99 Levi's and heavily discounted Kate Spade?) and introducing Sherin to Venice Boardwalk, we headed up to the High Rooftop Lounge at Hotel Erwin to watch the sun set over the ocean with plenty of cocktails and a few nibbles.
Saturday, 16 May 2015
Happy Friday, and greetings from my rental apartment in Venice Beach, California! I've already been to the farmers market and formed a (healthy) Lemonade takeout addiction, so needless to say I'm easily slipping back into my old life here for a bit. However, right now I want to share with you a few pieces that I had published in the UK just before I flew out. There are still a day left of National Sandwich Week, so head over to the Borough Market blog for my recipe for a Hummus, Spinach & Whole Chickpea Sandwich. Also, if you're interested at all in English vineyards, I've profiled 17 of them you ought to know about for Buzzfeed.
1. Making a start on my mission to drink all the cold pressed juice in Los Angeles at Clover Juice on West 3rd Street in West Hollywood. I can highly recommend 'The Quench', a blend of watermelon, watermelon rind, lime and mint. | 2. Beautiful cherry blossoms bursting out all over the Kentish countryside. | 3. A beautifully sunny afternoon on the campaign trail (I can't believe the election was only last week, it feels a world away!) down on the beach at St Margarets. | 4. Fresh berries at Venice Farmers Market. | 5. As I said, I'm already starting to form an addiction to Lemonade, my nearest takeout place to my apartment. So far I can recommend the cherry tomato and avocado salad (I've actually made this one from their cookbook), the edamame and snap pea salad, the simply to die for kale, mushroom and citrus salad, the braised beef brisket, the guava lemonade and the chocolate caramel cake slice. You get the general idea..! | 6. A smoked ham, sunny side up egg and garlic aioli rocket breakfast sandwich and an iced tea for breakfast at Joan's on Third in West Hollywood.
- The Debrief has some fantastic tips to keep in mind when ordering food in.
- 31 Can't Miss Events in Los Angeles this month.
- The Glitter Guide tours the Kiel James Patrick factory with one of my all time favourite personal style bloggers, Sarah Vickers from Classy Girls Wear Pearls.
- So, Nicole's photos from the Maldives are frankly awe inspiring.
- Claire decompressed at The Hoxton Hotel in Holborn the other weekend, and I've now put it at the very top of my London stay-cation wish list.
- Refinery 29 has put together a great post on becoming an AirBnb host.
- Williams Sonoma has put together a mouthwatering locals food guide to Austin, Texas.
- Also, Tracey has put together something similar from San Francisco.
- David Lebovitz goes to Charlottesville, Virginia.
- Tania has some thoughts on being happy that I think everyone needs to read. Also, her photos from her families Irish roadtrip around County Claire are well worth a peek at. (Part 2)
- 5 Things Writing A Cookbook Taught Me About Cooking.
- Rum cocktail recipes, through the decades.
- West Coasters and other USA roadtrippers? 7 places you need to eat at along the PCH.
- There are some great party planning tips over on Cupcakes & Cashmere at the moment.
- Into The Gloss asks the pros how they clean their makeup brushes.
- Sophie went to Bondi Farmers Market. Read: another foodie reason to visit Australia.
- A Beautiful Mess shows us how to make our own gummy candy. Also, they've put together a pretty rad guide to Palm Springs (West Coast = Best Coast!)
- Pretty pictures of the Spring blossoms in bloom in Paris. Enough said.
- 3 Easy Pasta Dishes To Make With Almost Nothing In Your Fridge. Also, The Kitchn is debunking 7 popular myths about cooking pasta.
7. Shopping at The Grove in West Hollywood, my favourite mall in Los Angeles. | 8. Shooting with the fantastic John Holdship for Borough Market's Market Life magazine. I honestly can't wait to see the photos and the whole spread, and to share the recipes for the Summer al fresco spread I put together for the shoot. You should be able to pick up a copy free in the market later this month, right through until July. | 9. Filling up on one of the fantastic breakfast burritos and copious amounts of iced tea on the terrace at TART in West Hollywood with my morning edition of The Times. I'll have a full review of TART and an interview with its executive chef online sometime next week, so look out for it! | 10. Family feasting at Thai Time in Sandwich. | 11. Packing the *essentials* for my trip to California while nibbling on Marks & Spencer's new Rose & Violet Dark Chocolate that they were kind enough to send over for me to try. It is a lovely and creamy dark chocolate (full of flavour, but not too bitter) with a fantastic floral flavour, perfect for you if you're a fan of turkish delight or rose and violet creams. | 12. Pre-flight feasting at Heston Blumenthal's The Perfectionist's Cafe in Queens Terminal at Heathrow Airport. I had the Perfectionists Burger that was absolutely faultless, followed up with ice cream with plenty of Heston's wacky toppings. Along with a cheeky grapefruit margarita, I feel that it is the only place you ought to consider to eat before jumping on a long haul flight.
- I love Alexandra's photos from a Greek family Easter spent in Vermont.
- How much celebrities get paid to wear dresses, jewellery and shoes on the red carpet.
- Food 52 schools us on practically every single type of chilli paste you can think of. Also, they delve into the history of my favourite soft drink, the Arnold Palmer.
- The Kitchn schools us on the difference between a French and a Dutch oven. Also, they've sat down to chat to experienced recipe developers on how to spot a reliable recipe online.
- On that vein, Deb from Smitten Kitchen talks about what makes a great recipe, and shares an awesome looking recipe for Potato, Scallion & Kale Cakes.
- Ferrero is searching for ways to use the waste from Nutella production in their packaging.
- The Everygirl teaches us how to make the perfect Margarita bar for Cinco de Mayo.
- Tess has some really great tips for eating healthily on a budget.
- Slate looks at how in the USA, your private Facebook can be used against you in court.
- Rose shared some great al fresco spots to hit up in London this Summer. And on that note, her review of The Ivy is Chelsea is well worth a peek at.
- Refinery 29 has hacked secret fast food menus across America.
- Vanity Fair delves deeper into the fact they can't sell 'real' Cadbury Dairy Milk' in the USA anymore since Hershey's got it outlawed.
- Cupcakes and Cashmere has posted a really pretty sugared rose petal tutorial.
- Shu (who is totally lovely by the way so you must check out her blog, we met at a brunch last month) has posted a recipe for homemade condensed milk.
- I'm not sure I agree they're all a must, but 'The 6 Marketing Principles Every Fashion Blogger Needs To Know In 2015' is an interesting and informative read.
- America? You need to try the new SaloonBox cocktail subscription service.
- 5 Common Mistakes to Avoid When Making Pancakes.
What have you been doing this week, and what do you have planned for the weekend? Keep an eye on our Instagrams (click our names to for our profiles) for all the adventures Sherin (who is visiting from London for the week) and I get up to in Los Angeles this weekend, but one thing that I've been excited about since I booked it a few weeks ago, is Sunday morning brunch at The Tasting Kitchen on Abbot Kinney Boulevard, my favourite weekend brunch in the world!
Thursday, 14 May 2015
As a former resident of West Los Angeles, I'm always getting messages from readers asking me the best places to stay, visit and eat when they're planning at trip to California. On the latter two, I can list so many amazing places to eat or visit that you simply should not miss out on, but as I used to live here and had an apartment on the Westside, up until now I knew next to nothing about hotels in L.A.. I've now moved into an apartment in Venice (my favourite part of town), but when I first arrived I decided I really ought to check out somewhere to stay for you all. So, enter stage right the Farmers Daughter Hotel in West Hollywood.