Weekly Love: Week 130
I’m a bit listener of podcasts, but I don’t have many that I actually subscribe to. The top of my playlist is always the latest episode of The Joy The Baker Podcast, but recently I’ve really been loving a new podcast called Elise Gets Crafty. Every week Elise sits down to chat with a creative running their own business about their different strategies. Some of my favourites so far have been episode 006 where she chats with Amy from Lemon & Raspberry about creating an affiliate programme for your small business, and episode 008 where she sits down with Emma and Elsie from A Beautiful Mess to talk how they manage their team. For anyone in anything small, independent and creative Elise Gets Crafty really is a must listen, and this is coming from someone who loves to listen to podcasts, but does not actually subscribe to many at all!
1. A little Instagram outfit post before a chilled weekend pub lunch with my parents. My skirt is Milly for Banana Republic skirt from last years collaboration, but what I really wanted to show you (again!) is this fantastically versatile chambray shirt I’ve been practically living in c/o Banana Republic. Mine is petite, and it fits perfectly. | 2. Grilling some steaks to kick off this years barbecue season. | 3. The Tarte aux Fraises avec crème pâtissière Mummy and I made for family Sunday lunch; we were rather proud of it! | 4. Evening swims before bed. | 5. So, it tuns out that my Marinated Mozzarella is amazing tossed with salad greens. | 6. One of the little luxuries I always enjoy are my L’Occitane deliveries. In my last one I had my new favourite bubble bath, Lavande, my usual Lemon Verbena shower gel refill, and a new bath ball to try. Because I ordered online on a certain day with a code from their newsletter, I got a big 500ml Ultra Rich Shea Butter Hand & Body Wash which I’ve been using in the shower, and is rather indulgent.
- Anthony Leyton has written a fantastic piece for Flavour First on meat labelling and the media which perfectly encapsulates my feelings on unlabelled halal and kosher meats.
- So, apparently you can drink your way around Disneyworld.
- Emily Schuman of Cupcakes and Cashmere has sat down with Racked to talk about the business side of blogging, dealing with negative commenters and unplugging from online life. Emily also goes behind the scenes at Superba Snack Bar on Rose Avenue in Venice to find out how they make their S’mores desserts, and makes me more sad I never managed to get a table there!
- Did you know that you can make tea out of rose petals?
- Zoella has written a really interesting piece on what it is like to be one of the worlds biggest an most popular Youtube stars. It is quite scary actually, to be honest!
- Did you know that it is illegal to drink wine out of a teacup in Kansas? Refinery 29 has put together a brilliant roundup of weird and wacky state laws across America.
- Amy has put together some fantastic tips for how to make cooking from scratch less of a chore. I completely endorse the ethos of, and everything she suggests in this post 110%.
- Jessica visits one of my favourite East London spots, Columbia Road Flower Market.
- Luisa travels to Ireland to explore the world of Kerrygold Butter.
- Louisa Peacock was turned away from Sushi Samba because she was not dressed ‘sexily’ enough. However, the company’s response was even more surprising.
- The interesting truth about shopping in outlet stores.
- It takes a lot for me to be into someones interior space, so the space Alexandra Kaehler recently designed really is something special.
Last week was British Tomato Week, and to celebrate my second recipe of the month over on the Borough Market Blog was this surprisingly summery Leftover Bread and Tomato Soup topped off with lots of fresh basil and extra virgin olive oil. I’ve used so many different things to thicken my tomato soups over the years, and leftover bread that would otherwise be thrown away has proven itself to be far the best option. Also in this recipe, I’ve shared my great, quick an easy alternative of how to replace tinned tomatoes for fresh in recipes.
7. Celebrating my Mummy’s birthday with champagne at Wallett’s Court. | 8. The stand out dish from her birthday dinner, poached egg with local asparagus and pea shoots. | 9. Beautiful evening skies over Ballaugh Shore, Isle of Man. | 10. Enjoying the first cucumbers of the year from the Pilgrims Nook greenhouse. | 11. Family walks on Ballaugh Shore. | 12. The beautiful roses my Dad gave Mummy for her 26th birthday blooming up the side of our house.
- I loved reading about Kristabel’s blogging process, as here site is among my favourite reads.
- Do celebrity fashion product gifting placements still work?
- 13 Insanely Cool Business Cards From Los Angeles Creatives.
- Jenny has posted a great recipe for a Salmon and Mascarpone Tart, along with some very amusing and very real thoughts and stories on the horror that is London flat hunting.
- Aimee has highlighted something I love about Spring in Los Angeles: Jacaranda Trees. She has also put together a beautiful flower arrangement how to using grocery store flowers (this post is more one for Angelenos, I think; I know those flowers are from Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s!)
- Kate has had breakfast at Duck & Waffle. Now I really want to as well!
- PUNCH has published a really interesting piece on the culture and history of Tiki bars in LA. They have also written a fascinating piece on the history of the different glasses champagne has been drunk in, how it has been advertised and what it has meant culturally in history.
- Christine has shot a simply stunning afternoon tea at Guerlain in Paris.
- The Pretty Little Liars do GQ. Wow. And I’m glad it is now officially cool to love the show!
- Jacintha takes us on a very pretty cycling tour of Copenhagen. I want to do this one day.
- Rose took a very, very picturesque road trip to Cambridge.
- Rocio shares her 4 favourite foodie spots in Palma.
- I think we should all take a more Korean approach to makeup and skincare.
- The TIG, zactress Megan Markle’s great new lifestyle site, has posed a great insiders guide to Brooklyn.
What have you been enjoying this week, and what do you have planned for the weekend? Sherin is coming to stay with me here in the countryside over the weekend, and along with Kathryn I’m looking forward to some girl time and a nice long country pub lunch!